Saturday, September 4, 2010

Re-use dinnerware (Day 47)

My mom and I share the same taste in many things.   Our selection of dinnerware is one of them.  Actually, I picked it years ago when I was engaged, to put on our bridal registry.  About 8 years ago, my mom decided that she wanted new dishes, and came home with the same set we had.

Life has taken its toll on both of our sets.  Neither are complete anymore, and we often scramble to use other dishes if we entertain more than about 7 people.  I've borrowed her lunch plates many times, so I had enough plates to serve dessert on to my guests!

With the decision to go plastic free in our house, I needed to obtain some more or new dinnerware.  I mentioned to my mom that I was thinking about getting new dinnerware, and giving her the incomplete set I had.   She offered to do the exact opposite - she'd buy the new dinnerware, and give us her set.  She's wanted a new set for a while, but couldn't justify buying it when she had a serviceable set at home.

It's a win-win situation for everyone.  She gets to freshen up her decor, and we can complete the set we've loved for years.

No comments:

Post a Comment