Saturday, September 4, 2010

Good bye to the plastic plates (Day 46)

The good thing about renting a cottage is you get all of the advantages of a cottage vacation, without the O&M on the upkeep.  The bad thing about renting a cottage, is that unless you pack everything you own, you are often stuck with someone else's version of "your stuff".

This happened to us last week.  We arrived at the cottage to find there weren't any plastic plates or bowls for the kids to use.  This is fine for DD1 and DS, but DD2 is not quite three.  I'm not sure that I was willing to trust her with china or stoneware.  However, at the cottage, we didn't have much of a choice, unless I went out and bought them. 

To my surprise and delight, she was fine.  No plates or bowls were broken, and she rather liked using the "big kid" plates.   So in keeping with the environmental theme, I've opted to continue using our regular dishes at home with her, instead of the myriad plastic ones I've used in the past.  

The only problem now is that I don't have enough serving ware for more than two meals.  I'll have to find some way of obtaining more dishes, preferably the same pattern that I already have.

No comments:

Post a Comment