Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Buy only RFA certified flowers (Day 56)

DH is a sweetie.  He gave me roses yesterday. 

Surfing Vanessa's blog last night, I noticed an entry on her list that mentioned buying only flowers that were organic and sustainably grown.  I had noticed the Rainforest Alliance Certified symbol on the flowers that DH had brought home (whew!), but hadn't really paid much attention to it, other than to think it was neat.

It turns out that farming cut flowers is a hugely intensive agricultural process using many pesticides and often exploiting the workers who grow and pick them.  Check out this article on GreenPlanet that briefly explains how horrible this industry really is.  (http://planetgreen.discovery.com/home-garden/flowers-valentine-flamingos-exploit.html)

I then checked the Rainforest Alliance site to see what they had to say about cut flowers (http://www.rainforest-alliance.org/agriculture.cfm?id=ferns_flowers).

After reading these two articles, I'm more convinced than ever to green my footprint.  Any cut flowers bring into the house will have to be RFA certified.  I won't have it any other way.

No comments:

Post a Comment