Sunday, August 8, 2010

Eating only ethically caught/raised fish (Day 25)

I went to the Toronto Zoo last year with some friends.  One of the exhibits they had was "Sting Ray Bay" and "Petting Sharks".    The nurse sharks and sting rays were in a shallow pool, and you could reach in and stroke their backs.  The kids thought it was pretty neat.  

There was also a whole display by the zoo on sustainable seafood and fisheries.  They were handing out SeaChoice pocket guides.  The guide listed fish and seafood that was acceptable as sustainable and ones to avoid purchasing.  DH put it in his wallet and we promptly forgot about it.

Until this weekend, when I was shopping for some groceries in my local store.  I was in the mood for fish, which is unusual, because I am not a huge fish fan.   I went and bought my fish fillets and brought them home to put in the freezer for a meal this week.

Then today, looking for a green change on Vanessa's website, I noticed her entry on eating only sustainable fish, and remembered the SeaChoice guide.  Of course, when I went looking for it in DH's wallet, I couldn't find it.  A quick Internet search brought me to the David Suzuki Foundation (http://www.davidsuzuki.org/issues/oceans/projects/sustainable-seafood/), and a copy of the SeaChoice Guide, as well as a sustainable sushi guide and a sustainable guide for Canadian businesses.

According to the website, the SeaChoice Program partners the DSF "with four internationally respected Canadian conservation organizations — Canadian Parks and Wilderness Society, Ecology Action Centre, Living Oceans Society and Sierra Club British Columbia." It was formed in 2006, "to help Canadians take an active role in supporting sustainable fisheries and aquaculture at all levels of the seafood supply chain." 

I looked in the guide (http://www.seachoice.org/) to see if the fish I bought was sustainable.   The fish I bought ranges from "best choice" to "avoid" depending on how it was caught.  Of course, the packaging doesn't tell me.  I will email the company to find out how they catch this fish, and will hopefully know in the future whether or not it is caught sustainably.

I think I'll also start checking out the specialty fish store in a nearby suburb to see what they have to offer.

4 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I love seeing what you're up to every day -- great reading. I thought I'd offer you something if you need another idea for your list. We've started using recycled glass containers to store our snacks. I was amazed to see how many things come in glass containers once I started looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Ruth. I have glass containers also which I love (although I don't think they're made of recycled glass).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bonjour Eco Mama,

    Here is my WWF list. It is by country so everyone can find what is local where they live!

    A bientot,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lila - I don't see the list, is it on your blog?

    ReplyDelete