Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Carbon off-set travel (Day 27)

I love August.  I work 11 months of the year, but August is my month for vacation.  I have the entire month to do as I please....as long as the kids are fed, clothed and entertained, the house is clean, the laundry is done, the groceries are bought and put away....

Because August is my month off, we travel A LOT.  Every year, we try and spend a week somewhere, either at a cottage or visiting friends and family.  There is usually one camping weekend, plus numerous day-tips here, there and everywhere.

This month is no exception.  I spent the first few days of the month visiting friends in Toronto.  Yesterday, a day trip to the USA.  In a week and a half, we'll be at a cottage for a week. 

Reading over Vanessa's blog, I noted that she offset all of her air travel.   This doesn't work for my family, because we hardly ever fly anywhere.  It's just too expensive for a family of 5.  So most of our distance travel is done by van.  But could I offset my vehicle travel?

Turns out I can.  After some research, I settled on an organization called Tree Canada (http://www.treecanada.ca/).  According to the website, "Tree Canada is a not-for-profit, charitable organization established in 1992. Under the direction of a 10-member volunteer Board of Directors, Tree Canada provides education, technical assistance, resources and financial support through working partnerships to encourage Canadians to plant and care for trees in rural and urban areas."

They have a great calculator (http://www.treecanada.ca/site/?page=calculator&lang=en) which allows you to calculate your distance travel, by vehicle type, and then figure out how many trees need to be planted to offset the carbon emissions.  You have a choice of immediate offset or 80 year offset.  I don't have a lot of extra cash, so I opted for the more affordable 80 year offset option.  It didn't cost very much, and I'm doing something to help the planet.  I like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment