Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Turn off tap while hand washing (Day 78)

I feel a little silly posting about this subject today.  After all, the reduction I have made in water usage is minor.  I've stopped running water while washing my hands.  My family is in the habit of turning off the tap while brushing our teeth, but for some reason, we let the water run while soaping up and rubbing our hands.   So I'm turning on the water a bit, wet my hands, turn the water off, soap up, wash, and then turn the tap back on to rinse. 

I'm not sure how much this reduces my impact, but according to BC Hydro (http://www.bchydro.com/guides_tips/green-your-home/water_guide/Save_water_in_the_bathroom.html),   I can save up to $55 a year by shutting off the water while teeth brushing, shaving and washing hands.  Many of the other sites I've researched (Environment Canada, a British water consumption site, the EPA, etc.) suggest between 4-6 L of water per day is saved by turning off the tap while you brush your teeth.  I have to assume the same holds true for turning off the tap while hand washing.  Not much for just me, but every little bit counts.

The real water savings will come if I can get the kids to embrace this habit, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment