Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Plant more native species (Day 71)

Fall clean-up time is here for my garden.  Time to cut back perennials, compost all the dead branches or stems, and clean up the vegetable garden.  It's also a great time of year to plant perennials.  By planting in the fall, transplants can have a head start on establishing their roots systems before winter, and then use the warm weather of spring to grow. 

We've had  a couple of frosts here in Ottawa, so I am getting toward the end of the acceptable transplanting season.  However, I plan to move a few things around in one of my beds to accommodate more native species.  I have a butterfly garden in my back yard which has become desperately overgrown.  I would like to change this bed to a true pollinator garden (attracting bees, butterflies, hummingbirds, moths, flies).  Our native pollinators, especially bees, are in decline.  By planting native species, I can help attract native pollinators to our area, and hopefully, establish good habitat for them.  Check out the Canadian Pollination Initiative (http://www.uoguelph.ca/canpolin/index.html) for scientific work being done on this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment