Thursday, July 22, 2010

Week 1 Update

Well, the week has flown by.  It's hard to believe that I have made 7 changes already.  None of them seem to have caused any undo hardship for me and mine.  In fact, most of them were so easy, I don't know why I didn't implement them before now.

Day 1 - E-billing
So far, so good.  I've switched another bill over, bringing my total to 6.  Now it's a waiting game to see how the payment portion flows.

Day 2 - Ant control
The icing sugar/baking powder solution got rid of the ants in my house, but doesn't seem to have eliminated them altogether like I had previously thought.  The ants are congregating around the little piles of powder on my porch.  Hopefully, I haven't created a further problem by providing them with a steady food source.  However, as long as they stay out of my house, I'll leave them alone.

Day 3 - Bottled water
No bottled water this week.  This had been relatively easy, as we haven't really travelled anywhere or done anything that required a drink purchase.  The real test will be this weekend, when we travel to my in-laws (who are out of town).

Day 4 - Water Jug
This has been great.  I've used this every day; so have the kids and DH. 

Day 5 - School supplies
As mentioned in my post, I didn't have much luck "greening" the school supplies for this year.  Many of my readers posted comments re: recyclable school supplies, and I thank everyone for your insights.  Hopefully, in the future, as I need to purchase new supplies, I can take advantage of everyone's suggestions.

Day 6 - No Junk Mail
I just implemented this a day ago, and haven't seen any improvement yet.  I'm hopeful that today's mail will produce the desired result - no more junk mail in my mail box.

Day 7 - Unplugging
I didn't have any problems with the coffee maker this morning, however, I did get a look from DH when he went to use the toaster and it wasn't working.  I smiled sheepishly and shrugged.  Hmmm... verdict is out on this one.   NB: further to several readers' suggestions, I have plugged the computer into a power bar and will turn it off when I am finished with the machine. 

A big thank you to everyone who has been following this blog both publicly and privately.   Your support, comments and questions have made me realize that this endeavour is worthwhile, and that I'm not any crazier than Vanessa was when she started!  :)

2 comments:

  1. Yay! All the best with this. Found you through Vanessa- Loved her blog and her book (not just 'cause I was in it). Your adventure will surely be as amazing as hers was!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meghan. I'm looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete