Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Turn furnace fan to "auto" (Day 90)

More electricity saving measures.  I'm got a bee in my bonnet over electricity these days.  I just paid my hydro bill - not pretty.  I don't understand how we're using all of these kW hrs.  Yes, I am home during the day, so certain things are going to be used more often, generating electricity use.  But this last bill was ridiculous.  I'm going to be a "hydro-nazi" until we get our power usage under control.

One of the areas I'm targeting this week is the furnace fan.  We've generally left it running all the time, as we have found the furnace actually comes on less when the air is circulated constantly through the house.  I can't help but think that a fan running all the time is eating up our hydro.  As part of the eco-challenge, DH and I have turned the furnace fan to "auto" - it will only come on when the furnace actually turns on to heat/cool the house.  Since we keep our house fairly cool in the winter, I don't foresee the furnace coming on with greater frequency even though the air is not circulating as much. 

I hope this change is reflected in my next hydro bill.

No comments:

Post a Comment