Monday, April 25, 2011

Participate in The Milk Bag project (Change 116)

Our elementary school has decided to participate in The Milk Bag Project.  This project entails local charity partners crocheting the outer 4L milk bags into sleeping mats, which are then sent to Haiti to help earthquake victims.

For those of you who don't know about this project, I've attached two links to explain what it is and how it works.  (http://www.nbbc.ca/docs/MilkBagInfo.pdf and http://recyclemilkbags.pbworks.com/w/page/26969816/HomePage).

I've been collecting clean bags from our house, and sending them to our school.  To date, the school has collected over 1000 bags, enough to make 2 mats.

DS's class has offered to co-ordinate the collection and distribution of the milk bags.  Every Wednesday morning, I volunteer in his classroom, and part of my work is preparing the milk bags for assembly.  The children and I sort the bags by type, roll them in bundles of ten, and package the bundles for delivery.  They have great fun sorting the bags, and I am deriving great satisfaction knowing that we are keeping plastic bags out of the landfill, while helping a very worthy cause.

I urge everyone to locate a partner in their area, so you can benefit from this worthwhile cause.

5 comments:

  1. My mom was saving them for a while to be sent to Essex high school. I'm not sure if they save them anymore, but I will have to look into it.
    Rick and I don't drink milk, but I know some of the people in the other units in our building do, and I'd love to collect all those bags!! There is one couple that drinks probably 5 of those bags a week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We go through about 3 bags a week, so are always sending them to the school. There should be a partner or two down in Windsor somewhere for you to send bags to, Nicole. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this project still ongoing? I would like to get my school to participate...

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is awesome, do you know if there are any places where my elementary school can donate milk bags?

    ReplyDelete