Wednesday, December 29, 2010

No more SOS pads (Change 97)

This past summer, I was invited to a Norwex party.  For those of you who do not know the company, it provides environmentally-friendly products for cleaning, body care, and home care. (www.norwex.com) I tried a few things with mixed results.  One item I purchased though, I love.

It is my stainless steel pot scrubber.  It works like an SOS pad, except without the built-in detergent.  I just use a little bit of dish soap (if necessary), and voila!  Clean pots and pans without a lot of effort.

Last week, I was cleaning out my crock pot.  DH had made a casserole in it, and there were bits of burnt yuck everywhere.  I couldn't get it clean.  I tried soap, water, a dish brush, and finally resorted to my last SOS pad, which had been sitting underneath my kitchen sink for months.  I scrubbed with it, to no avail.   Finally, I tried my little Norwex pot scrubber.  Although it didn't get everything clean the first time round, it made far more progress cleaning the pot than anything else.

I'm not going to buy SOS pads anymore.  They don't seem to help with the really tough jobs, and all of my little jobs are easily handled by my scrubber.  The scrubber seems to work well on the bigger jobs, too, although I may have to try scrubbing two or three times. 

6 comments:

  1. Oh! Oh! Oh! Have I got a trick for you!!!! I've been meaning to write about it on my blog, but I'll let you in on the trick! I am sure that your scrubber is great and all, but I learned this old school trick that gets most burnt pots spotless. BAKING SODA! The stuff is magical! Sprinkle baking soda on the bottom of your burnt pot. Cover with water, bring it up to the boil, let sit until cool. And scrub. The burnt stuff often just peels away in one layer.
    It's a miracle!
    I'm sure your scrubber is great, and I would not want you to get rid of it. But baking soda gets rid of even the most massive (and I mean blue smoke in the kitchen massive) burns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, DJP. I'll try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh this is great! thanks for posting this - I've never been happy with my sos pads! : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. i was going to recommend baking soda as well, although I've never boiled it. I use baking soda on a moist cloth, if that doesn't work, then I use salt, if that still doesn't work, I will boil water in it, but that's only happened once. I use baking soda and/or salt for just about everything - skin scrubs, teeth, sinks, metal, carpet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for your comment, giada. I use baking soda a lot as well, and plan to try it for pot scrubbing if my trusty little scrubby ever fails to remove the gunk.

    ReplyDelete